To strengthen our Editorial team, we are looking for recent graduates who are eager to stay connected to scientific research by helping researchers worldwide publish their latest results. The position of Assistant Editor is a full-time and permanent position based in our city center office in Basel, Switzerland.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Support the editorial process for academic research journals in your domain of expertise;
- Organize the peer review process for submitted manuscripts and coordinate editorial decisions;
- Be in charge of formatting manuscripts according to our in-house standards;
- Handle email communication between all parties involved in the publication process;
- Ensure that scholarly articles are accurately edited and published with a high degree of consistency and within the deadlines;
- Serving as point of contact between the Editorial Office and external authors and readers.
As a successful candidate, you will receive on-the-job training in editorial work and you will work closely with Managing Editors to learn how to process research articles from submission to publication. Training supervised by an assigned tutor will take place during the first six months. Depending on your background, you will be assigned to work on journals related to your field of study or research. No previous editorial experience is required, however, a familiarity with the academic editorial process is an advantage.
Upon completing editorial training and qualification, you will participate in tasks beyond routine editorial activities, including the onboarding of new Editorial Board members, checking and updating the journal website and managing its social media accounts, identifying and contacting conferences for potential sponsorship, and more.
As the leading Open Access publisher, MDPI runs various products and platforms along with its core publishing services. As Assistant Editor you will have enhanced opportunities for internal job transfers or promotions across departments, after gaining work experience in the Editorial Department during your first year.
- A Bachelors/Masters/PhD degree related to one of the following subjects: Materials Science, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Virology, Biology, Pharmacology & Pharmacy, Ecology & Environmental Sciences, Microbiology, Forestry, Geosciences, Computer Science and Management Science
- Excellent written and spoken English skills;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Team player with the capability to work in a dynamic, international environment;
- Detail-oriented with the capacity to see the big picture;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Very good communication and coordination skills;
- Professional experience with scholarship publishing is an advantage;
- Experience in creating presentations and writing is an asset.
What we offer
- The opportunity to contribute to the academic/scientific community;
- Flexible working hours;
- Support for a healthy lifestyle;
- Team bond strengthening through team-building events;
- Professional growth opportunities with our global training system;
- Working in a collaborative, diverse, and socially responsible team;
- Company retreat facility;
- Full-coverage insurance for accidents/daily sickness;
- Prime location near Basel train station and city center;
- And more
If you are interested in this position, we look forward to receiving:
- A motivational letter that briefly describes your motivations for joining MDPI
- A resume including personal information, past & current education,
- If available: reference letters and certificates.
A pioneer in scholarly open access publishing, MDPI has supported academic communities since 1996. Our mission is to foster open scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines. We operate more than 400 diverse, peer-reviewed, open access journals supported by over 66,000 academic editors. We serve scholars from around the world to ensure the latest research is openly and broadly available.
MDPI is headquartered in Switzerland with additional offices in Europe, Asia and North America. We are committed to ensuring that high quality research is made available as quickly as possible. We also support sustainability projects, with sustainability as a key theme in many journals and through the MDPI Sustainability Foundation.
At MDPI, we develop and maintain various platforms in order to better serve the scientific community. Please find here-below a list of our main platforms: